Ford’s new Kuga has arrived in South Africa, offering one of the most technologically-advanced, smart sport utility vehicles (SUVs) with five-star safety and improved fuel efficiency.
We were flown to East London, South Africa this past Tuesday to test drive the new Kuga. What an experience it was! We landed in East London early Tuesday morning and were welcomed by the Ford family who briefed on what we were to experience, the driving rules and then we were handed us the keys to our new rides – the new Kuga. It was time for that long drive we had been looking forward to.
What is a road trip without stopping for pictures?
That’s my driving partner Lerato Bambo who made it all worth it. She was such good company and a pleasure to have shared this experience with.
Ford is the second-largest SUV brand in the world and every model is backed by Ford’s global SUV expertise and robust 50-year heritage in the segment. We know they’ve had an unfortunate situation with the previous Kuga. But they have made sure that they gain back all their clients’ trust. The new Kuga joins the best-selling EcoSport compact SUV and the sophisticated Everest seven-seater SUV to offer a wide range of models across all key segments.
Buyers have the choice of two petrol engines in the 1.5-litre and 2.0-litre EcoBoost petrol units, as well as the 2.0-litre TDCi turbodiesel engine. Depending on model, there is the option of front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive models, and manual or automatic transmissions to suit customer needs.
As before, three specification levels are available, starting off with the value-oriented Ambiente, the mid-level Trend and the range-topping Titanium.
Ford New Kuga facts:
- The new Kuga features Ford’s latest design language for a bold, smart look that is shared with other Ford SUVs.
- At the rear, the Kuga’s smart, athletic stance is emphasized by the redesigned light clusters and new tailgate design, along with the purposeful twin exhausts.
- The new Kuga offers up to 1603 litres of cargo space with the rear seating folded – ideal for weekend escapes.
- The Kuga steering wheel and air-conditioning controls operate through fewer and more easily distinguishable buttons and switches, making the controls easier to recognise.
- All Kuga automatic models include paddle-shift controls that enable drivers to manually select gears.
- The new Kuga will allow drivers to control audio functions plus connected smartphones using simple, more conversational voice commands, with Ford’s new SYNC®3 connectivity system.
- Kuga drivers can operate the SYNC®3 8-inch touchscreen in the same way that they use their smartphones. A new interface features larger, easier to operate buttons and enables pinch and swipe gestures.
- SYNC®3 incorporates Apple CarPlay, the smarter, safer way to use iPhones in the car allowing drivers to make phone calls, access music, send and receive messages, get directions optimised for traffic conditions, and more while they stay focused on the road*.
- Android™ users can activate Android Auto™, which makes apps and services that are already widely used accessible in safer and seamless ways in the Kuga, including Google Search, Google Maps and Google Play*.
- An enhanced version of Ford’s Active City Stop with low-speed collision mitigation and avoidance has been introduced.
Recommended Retail Prices:
Ford Kuga 1.5 EcoBoost Ambiente 6MT FWD R368 800
Ford Kuga 1.5 EcoBoost Ambiente 6AT FWD R381 900
Ford Kuga 1.5 EcoBoost Trend 6MT FWD R406 400
Ford Kuga 1.5 EcoBoost Trend 6AT FWD R427 900
Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi Trend 6AT AWD R483 900
Ford Kuga 2.0 EcoBoost Titanium 6AT AWD R497 900
Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCi Titanium 6AT AWD R506 900
All models come standard with Ford Protect, including a four-year/120 000km comprehensive warranty, three-year/unlimited distance roadside assistance and five-year/unlimited km corrosion warranty. A five-year/90 000km service plan is included on the TDCi models, with 15 000km service intervals. The petrol Kuga models have 20 000km service intervals, and are sold with a four-year/80 000km service plan.
This new Kuga is amazing, it definitely builds on Ford’s Global SUV Expertise and Heritage. The Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will be activated once the licensing is finalised for the collective Sub-Saharan Africa region. I love it!
Listen, we drove over 500km, experienced both the 1.5 and 2.0 litre and none of us needed fire extinguishers or had to dial emergency numbers like some people implied on social media. We are back to our families alive and kicking. Hehehe! So it’s safe to say the Kuga is back with a bang.
Thank you to Ford South Africa and Meropa Communications. It was great exploring East London in the new Kuga. We were booked at the Royal St Andrews Hotel in Port Alfred. Beautiful place, stunning, clean and spacious rooms, the bathrooms/shower = mind blowing, friendly staff, amazing views. You guys need to check it out and consider it whenever you decide to take a trip to East London, South Africa. It is very much affordable too. Thank me later! 🙂